Burkini Ban in France

4 replies to this topic

#1 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

World News/Sports moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

In response to the terror attack that took place in Nice on Bastille Day, the city of Nice has placed a ban on "any person wearing improper clothes that are not respectful of good morals and secularism" from using the beaches. It is popularly known as the Burkini Ban, and it is spreading throughout France. Things came to a head when 4 armed police officers stood over a woman on a beach and gave her a fine for wearing too much clothing, while she took them off.

We have now reached a stage where women are being fined for wearing TOO MUCH CLOTHING.

The Burkini was invented by an Australian woman in order to give her niece something to wear to enjoy swimming while also being "modest". It is also targeted at and used by people with skin cancer and want to cover up while at the beach.

The practical upshot is that of the two people pictured below, only one is allowed to use the beaches of France in their current attire.

burkini-comparison.gif

I get the point of the ban on the niqab (the full face veil), which does have security implications in certain situations. That clearly does not apply here, so I do not agree that this is a security issue. The other argument in favour of this ban is that is feminism in action, and the Burkini is a continuation of Islam's oppression of women. But consider the following:

France: Great news Muslim women! You don't have to wear the burka anymore! You can wear whatever you like!

Muslim Woman: That's great! Thank you! I'll wear my burka, thanks!

France: Actually, no you won't. You aren't actually allowed to wear that.

Muslim Woman: So I can't wear what I want?

France: Yes you can! Just not that.

Muslim Woman: ...

This is not freeing Muslim women from oppression. This is replacing one kind with another. It is just another way of telling women what they can and can't wear. And that is little different to the situation people are saying this is supposed to stop.

#2 Docinbird

Docinbird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

It is just ugly sexism, religious discrimination, and nativism, no matter what flimsy excuse they try to attach to it.

I think it would make an excellent test case for this law if a woman wearing a burkini was also carrying a snorkel mask and flippers.

#3 Cy_Click

Cy_Click

Honored Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

Wearing something dictated by one's religion would seem not respectful of secularism. Inventing a "work-around" to religious dictates in order to avoid the downside of such would seem not respectful of the religion. Wearing Muslim garb would seem distinguishable from swim gear. The swim gear shown would seem as suitable for those with skin cancer as the burkini and for simply lying around on the beach presumably as uncomfortable.

#4 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

Australia has only one successful terrorist incident. Our laws are liberal, we allow everyone to wear what they like at the beach and in the street.

We are not a target as we have not tried to repress Muslims.

We have not been a colonial power in Muslim countries like France and Britain.

We are a secular nation and to recently ban Catholic Priest wearing their habits in public.

But when the Buddhist and Greek Monks came here wearing their robes we stop enforcing that law.

Being Secular should not discriminate against any religion,t

#5 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

World News/Sports moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

The French courts have now overturned the ban.

Reply to this topic

Copyright © 2017 Fool Moon LLC