Keep on Reigning

13 replies to this topic

#1 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

World News/Sports moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:27 AM

Today, Queen Elizabeth II equalled the record set by Queen Victoria for the longest reigning British monarch, at 63 years, 7 months and 2 days. Unless something dramatic happens in the next 12 hours or so, she'll hold the record alone.

It's been a rocky 63 years. There have been ups and downs, most notably towards the end of the 90's, when the death of Diana (along with other factors) meant the monarchy was not particularly popular.  

But things have improved and Elizabeth's popularity, and that of the monarchy, has soared in recent years.

Congratulations on the record, ma'am. And here's to many more years to come.

#2 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:19 PM

Jack , While Many Australians celebrate the Queen's long regime. Others Republicans wonder what she achieved. She has liittle power so can not be compare to other monach who made great  changes for good or ill. Queen Elizabeth 1, Henry v111 , Charles 11 all achive changes. All queen Elizabeth 11achieved was by persuation  keeping  most of the Commonweath together and helping the peace in Ireland by visiting both sides. I think an Australia President could have done more.

#3 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:04 AM

According to former Prime Minister John Major, the Queen uses her weekly meeting with the Prime Minister to "question, to ask, to counsel. Nobody knows and no prime minister is going to tell you exactly what happens at those meetings. So those who say she's been too passive, how can they possibly know?"

I don't know the figure at the moment, but in 2012 she had an approval rating here of 90% - how many politicians can boast of a similar figure - and part of that popularity stems from the fact that she is not political, at least apparently. But how much she has achieved, how much she has influenced events - we may never know exactly.

I think that is part of her charm.

#4 Dax

Dax

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:15 AM

You have to feel sorry for Prince Charles, who really got screwed out of being King.

#5 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:49 AM

Charles is 66. Assuming the Queen lives as long as her mother, she's got another 12 years to go, so Charles will be 78 when he takes the throne.

He's the oldest heir apparent since Sophia of Hannover, who died in 1714.

Still, if he also gets to 100 he'll still have a good 22 years as king.

#6 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

Congrats to Her Majesty on a long and remarkable reign, and may there be many more years to come!  God Save The Queen. 

Most Americans have a very favorable opinion of Elizabeth.  As a celebrity-worshipping culture, we Americans simply adore royalty, without any real understanding of what a monarchy is or how a constitutional monarchy works.  We just love princes and princesses, kings and queens!  We were brought up on too many fairy tales as children.   ;)

When Charles eventually takes the throne, some years in the future, what title will the Duchess of Cornwall have?  Will she officially be "Queen Camilla"?  "Queen Consort"?  Or will she remain a Duchess? Or Princess of Wales?

#7 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

I'm fairly certain she won't be Princess of Wales. That title is still firmly Diana's for many, and it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Technically, she would be Queen Camilla. I suspect she may stick with Duchess of Cornwall to be honest. I don't think "Queen Camilla" would be massively popular either. Duchess of Cornwall would save a lot of potential trouble.

#8 Dax

Dax

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

Charles is 66. Assuming the Queen lives as long as her mother, she's got another 12 years to go, so Charles will be 78 when he takes the throne.

He's the oldest heir apparent since Sophia of Hannover, who died in 1714.

Still, if he also gets to 100 he'll still have a good 22 years as king.

If he becomes King, might he abdicate in favor of William?

Personally, I want to date Lady Rose Gilman.  I've always wanted to go out with the 31st person in line for the British throne.

#9 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM

I agree that Queen is popular even in Australia. Charles will be better bet for us republicans. He unlike his mother has expressed strong views on Climate change and on the future of cities. At least we have our own National Anthen now and New Zealand is getting a new flag.

#10 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:15 AM

Today, April 21st, is Queen Elizabeth II's 90th birthday.

Happy birthday Your Majesty, and many more.

#11 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

Many in Australia will wish Queen Elizabeth a Happy Birthday. Tis day is also important to me as it also my late father's birthday. The Queen was born on his 21st birthday.

#12 mmoghand

mmoghand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

We need a cartoon Elizabeth at a youthful age 43 doing "What Comes Next?" from "Hamilton."

She is cooler, saner than George III. Tell me she couldn't have charmed John Adams, his brewer buddy, the Virginians, and the New York crew out of their little Amexit....

Edited by mmoghand, 24 April 2016 - 09:11 AM.

#13 ~__aus__~_(Guest)_~

~__aus__~_(Guest)_~
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:57 PM

I agree that Queen Elizabeth has generaly kept out of Australian politics. There was some suggestion she was involved in the Governor General sacking of Whitlam and the giving a knighthood to her husband Prince Phillip. However thee is no proof of this.

Charles we be a more political active King His support of combating climate change is wellknow. He also support city improemnt. He want to drop the Defender of the Fith title to defender of all faiths.

#14 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:45 PM

Jack She is ceratinly coler tha George !!!. Whether she cold have stop American fro leavng I doubt it. Many countries have left the Commonwealth durinh er regime

Reply to this topic

Copyright © 2017 Fool Moon LLC