41 replies to this topic

#1 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

What does Old Age mean. For those who are close to 80 it does not mean much. We feel the same as when young. We think we are the same person. We might have a few more pills and walk slower but that all.

For other people we meet it is important. When I go on public transport people offer me a seat. When I go to the football some think I can not climb three flights of stairs. On one occasion someone pay for my ticket assuming that old people do not have much money.

People are not interested in the past.

People do not write letters anymore but expect us to use the internet.

if it was sixty or more years ago. They do not ask us what it was like to live in the 1940s or50s. Yet we read books written about this period by people who were not there.

People do not write letters anymore but expect us to use the internet.

Old people are not allow to drive but are usually too old to walk.

Our opinions about religion or politics are not important because we are too old to understand the problems of the modern world.

Yet these problems are not new and were our problems when young.

Everybody is an expert on old age except the old.

#2 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

And those darn kids with their wacky music won't get off your lawn!

#3 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

Helice Thanks for your comment. Difference in Music might be important but my wife who is five years younger has taken me to Eagles concerts.

The real problem is that old people are not suppose to stand up for their rights.  MY NIECE on facebook published a post about two elderly men fighting over a parking spot. Apparently this is silly for such people to fight. But surely we have rights. I am sick of people running into me when I slow down. Do I not have rights.

#4 ~__lhfable__~_(Guest)_~

~__lhfable__~_(Guest)_~
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:31 PM

A lot of your elders – an’ old people - are goin’ around always tellin’ you how it wuz.  I’m gonna tell you how it’s gonna be - because there’s a lot of misinformation out there - about how it wuz or how it is.  I’m tellin’ you how it’s gonna be. For you; not me.  I’m here.  I’m “Now”.  This is it.

Nobody wants to grow old.  You don’t “grow old”.  You “Get Old”.  You “Grow Old-ER”.  See?  Easy-peasy. “Old” and “Older”.  Big difference. 

Old/Old-ER

Your hearing changes.  I wear a hearing aid.  I turn it off an’ nod my head, everybody likes me cuz they think I agree with them - I haven’t heard a word they said.  If my answer doesn’t make sense, they think I’m speaking in parables.  You can say stuff an’ people believe you.  Why?  Because you got white hair an’ a beard, so they think you know stuff.  I got white hair an’ I got a beard an’ I don’t know shit.  Which is about, on average, as much as anybody.

I’m an orphan.  Yeah.  You’re gonna be an orphan.   A lot of old people are orphans.  Nobody tells you that.  Here’s a statistic: It doesn’t matter how many grandchildren you have - chances are you’re gonna die an orphan.  Here’s the upside: When you’re an orphan an’ “old-ER”, you don’t have to ask permission an’ you can go to bed whenever you want.  But if you’re “Old” an’ don’t ask permission or you start goin’ to bed whenever you want, they’ll put you in a home.  If your old an buy a red convertible they’ll take your drivin’ license away an’ strap you to a bed. 

As far as drugs go: I’m taking drugs - the doctor tells me to take certain drugs.  So you stop taking drugs.   For a while. but you’re gonna be taking drugs sooner or later cuz your you go through this Second Puberty, only this one’s on the inside so you might have to take drugs again.  Legally.  It happens.

You get respect.  Not the kinda’ respect you want.  You get, like: “sir”.  Even cops: “Sir”.  “Sir: you’ll have to move.  This is a red zone.  You can’t sleep in a red zone, Sir.”  Can’t sleep in a red zone, can’t park in a red zone, can’t frack in a red zone.  You can’t do anything in a red zone.  Where wuz the “Sir” when I wuz 18 an’ needed it? 

--Emmett Deemus as told to Larry Hankin

#5 Dax

Dax

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:51 PM

The wise words of Emmett Deemus are always appreciated.

In the movie Marty the two old Italian sisters talk about what a curse it is to be old, but I think it's really a matter of how healthy you are. If you are in good physical and mental health, your old age is fine and graceful. If you're ill, feeble, frail, etc. then it's less good, but that;s where your own attitude (and drugs) help a lot.

#6 ~__lhfable__~_(Guest)_~

~__lhfable__~_(Guest)_~
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

Exactly.  Emmett tends to generalize.

lh

"You got it, kiddo.  Health, Drugs, The Paradigm: any 2 of those 3'll get you to the grocery store an' back".  

emmett d.

Edited by lhfable, 27 July 2015 - 06:38 PM.

#7 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Dax and Ihfable. You are right Health, drugs and  a positive outlook  does help.  I agree that  Emmett is  correct in describing some of the pitfalls of old age. It is true if you live long enough you die an orphan. I attended a  funeral of a  90 years old where there was hardly anyone there. His children, brothers and sisters and wives had all die before him. His grand children did not know him.

While he could have stay in bed if he like he spend his last years writing poetry.

Also he could not hear anyone so did not listen. But he pretended to listen and agree which may him popular.

I attend an old peoples group at U3A. Most have hearing aids so I have to shout or print multiple copies of my stories. We all have to compromise.

But it is the attitude of others that is difficult. Recently while attending a doctor clinic some one gave me a hearing test. Thy wanted to give me a hearing aid yet my hearing in one ear was perfect. In the end just washing the wax worked.

I believe you are still here for a purpose. God will still use old people to help others. To attend a sporting or family function is hard but your presence will be valuable to others.

#8 Grams

Grams

• longstanding member
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:27 AM

I now live with my son and his wife , whom I love very much but the wife lets the children get away with out doing what they were told
all the time..........

A set of twins one is always talking and the other is always singing. Some day's its nice , but some day's it is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Please stop please stop please stop etc. etc. etc.

They have chores to do every day..................... told to do them over and over......

children ?????????? OLD AGE ????????????

Guess I need patience

I guess I would much rather have this then living in a old age home looking at a lot of old people complaining as much as I do ?

#9 Dax

Dax

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

I don't have to tell you Grams, that it's no fun getting old, but as I said before attitude has a lot to do with it. You've had some tough times lately, but you seem strong and I think you'll come out okay on this.

#10 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

Grams, Old Age is tough. But sometimes we forget that things in the past were not so good. We think kids don't behave as well as we did. But did we really behave because of the fear of punishments that was so common then. You can not longer hits kids but you did in the 50s.

Also twins represent particular problems. Because they are the same age they often do not feel they are not  getting much attention. They often act out to get attention. Try giving them attention as individuals and I think it will help.

We certainly need patience. Even without children  living with others is hard.

As you said it is better than living in a nursing home. Children keep you young.

#11 Grams

Grams

• longstanding member
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:21 PM

This sure is better then living in a old age home............

#12 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

Holy crap! Dax grew a beard!

And I have found the secret to immortality. Always find someone older than you. To them, you'll always be young. And if you're always young, you live forever.

Unless you get hit by a train or something.

#13 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

Grams I agree living in a nursing home would be hard. I have visited many and find it depressing for me. Yet the people there seem happy. I suspect we all make the best we can of any situation.

Aint you are right it good to have at least one person older than yourself around you. That why I go to U3A classes. But it does mean going to lots of funerals!

#14 Grams

Grams

• longstanding member
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:42 AM

Well , since I have a place to stay , I am Blessed ! I see no reason for me to go to one at this time.
Unless I need care. Or for a heath reason.

I do nothing here ! I take care of my room, and may sweep the living room floor , when no one beats me to it.

How much more can I have ?

I just want to go home ! I just wish I knew what God wanted me to do , so I can go home !

#15 ~__lhfable__~_(Guest)_~

~__lhfable__~_(Guest)_~
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:30 PM

Grams: Volunteer?  Help others who have less than you?  Who have no room.  Who have no broom.  God wants you to find what your mission is.  It's not all on God.  he gives you power.  you must find it's use.  50-50 - that's only fair.   You are needed here.  Find out where.  Hint: it's not in your room.   It's not sweeping your floor.  You are needed.  You have power.  Use it out there.  Seek and ye shall find.  you have power.  Use it out there.

Edited by lhfable, 02 August 2015 - 01:31 PM.

Reply to this topic

Copyright © 2017 Fool Moon LLC