Growing Strawberries

8 replies to this topic

#1 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:28 PM

Anyone ever grow strawberries? Seems the ins and outs, and varieties vary by location, but have you grown them? I'm in north Texas.

We have a patch at work. With nothing more than watering them, when someone thinks about it, we've managed to have handfuls of sweet juicy berries, and they've so far overwintered like champs.

We're thinking of planting ours in the ground. Turning most of the food plot into a strawberry patch.

#2 Dax

Dax

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:02 AM

We've never had any luck growing strawberries. They're either eaten by animals or fail to thrive.

Next year we'll try the pot method and see if that works.

#3 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:16 AM

Yeah; I planted a nice little patch of strawberries last spring, but the varmints got them all before we did.   It was chipmonks; caught'em in the act.

My grandma grew them when I was a kid, nothing better or sweeter than those tiny wildstrawberries from the back yard.  :)

#4 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

Yeah. We got rats. Some of them are called squirrels. Maybe if we grow a lot of strawberries, we'll get some.

#5 Dax

Dax

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:47 PM

You'd have to grow several acres and stand by with a .22 shotgun to harvest any. I'm still going for pots.

#6 Elena

Elena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Last summer was the first time I have grown strawberries. I bought a small pack of seeds. Then I casted seeds in a special box. Then I got a lot of good sprouts. Really, I  could plant 100 square metres of strawberries, using only one small pack of seeds. It was written on the pack that it is possible to get about 100 berries from one plant. It turned to be true. There were a lot of berries, they were harvested every day till snow. But unfortunately they weren't tasty.

#7 Grams

Grams

• longstanding member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Things like that happened to me and I thought for sure it was my fault, so I stopped doing that !

Gee , wish I knew at the time it was not me......

#8 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • 9,278 posts

Posted A week ago

You can grow strawberries in the hills near Melbourne. I have not try to grow them at home but they grow around December in our near hills. Our climate is more Mediterranean .

Similar to parts of California

#9 Grams

Grams

• longstanding member
  • 8,309 posts

Posted A week ago

wow aus,

In Dec. over here it is winter........ snow and freezing temp.

My son is trying hard to find a way to move to Texas.......... It is good for his body over there...... When he had to go

and do work for a different company , he went to a few different States....... and that one felt good on his bones......

Reply to this topic

Copyright © 2017 Fool Moon LLC