Theme© by Fisana

Fool Moon
Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

How do you Solve a Problem like Ched Evans?

20 replies to this topic

#16 Cy_Click

Cy_Click

Honored Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:18 AM

Cy_Click, I'm not sure I understand your question.

If his appeal is successful, he's not a "not convicted rapist", he is simply not a rapist. As things stand, he is guilty of rape and therefore he is a rapist. If his appeal is successful and that conviction is quashed, he is not a rapist.

You can't be innocent of rape AND a rapist at the same time. They are mutually exclusive.

Of course guilty people are found innocent and innocent people are found guilty all the time. If the facts are what they are he either did commit rape by having sex with an intoxicated woman or having sex with an intoxicated woman is not rape. What is his grounds for appeal? That what he did was not rape or that what he did should not classify him as a rapist?

#17 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

World News/Sports moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:48 AM

Again, I'm not sure what you mean. He is a rapist because he is guilty of rape. His appeal is based on his belief that he has not committed the offence, not that he shouldn't be called a rapist.

I'm not entirely certainly, but I think he is basing his appeal on the fact that he doesn't believe (as do many others) that she was as intoxicated as it is believed and so was capable of giving consent, and that she did give consent.

#18 Cy_Click

Cy_Click

Honored Member

• Members
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

I'm asking if you don't want a guy who would do what he was convicted of doing on your team or if you just don't want a convict on your team.

I'm not sure one can win an appeal of a jury conviction based on believing what one did wasn't wrong. Adrian Peterson, for example, doesn't think beating his son was wrong but is now suffering the consequences of the fact that enough people think it is wrong that he was charged with something for beating his son. 

Personally, I would prefer a guy didn't do what Evans did if there is some question as to whether or not he was invited to do that. If his actions went to trial and the evidence showed him to be guilty of rape,,even if a rape charge is a little too much for the circumstances, his actions, which brought him to this point, are not admirable.

#19 Cy_Click

Cy_Click

Honored Member

• Members
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:18 PM

What jobs should convicted sex offenders be allowed to have?

One can be a convicted sex offender for pissing in public in 13 states. How many jobs should something like that make you ineligible to perform?

#20 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:23 AM

Would I want someone who had drunken, casual sex on a team I cheer for? It's not ideal, but young people will be young people and these things happen. That is different from asking me to cheer for a rapist - someone who saw the opportunity to have sex with someone too intoxicated to consent and took advantage.

I don't think Evans' appeal is just based on his belief - one would assume he has some kind of evidence to support his claim.

#21 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:10 AM

Update in this story.

This morning, the Court of Appeal upheld Evans' appeal, quashed his conviction and ordered a retrial. This was based on new evidence that had been brought forward by the defence - details of this are not yet available.

As if this moment in time, Evans is an "alleged rapist".

It will interesting to see what happens with the case going forward. The decision, predictably, has split opinion on social media. Some are still calling him a rapist and accusing his supporters of "supporting rape". Against that there is a sickening level of misogyny. I assume, though I have seen little of it, that there is a middle ground.

Reply to this topic

Copyright © 2017 Fool Moon LLC