'Duck Dynasty' Attracts Christian Conservatives

732 replies to this topic

#121 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,734 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

What on earth are you so rattled about? Certainly you have heard these words before. They are used in perspective.

You got very upset and hostile at someone for using the word "bullshit".  You made quite a fuss about it at the time. We were trying to discover if you only get upset when people you dislike use unpleasant language, so we asked how you felt about Quantril's unnecessary introduction of a racial epithet into a discussion.  We wanted to compare your reaction to that with your reaction to "bullshit".

It appears, from what you've said, that you still are all upset about "bullshit", but you don't mind the use of "the 'N' word" even a little bit.

"Bullshit", used in perspective, is bad because you don't like who said it.  The 'N' word, when used in perspective, is nothing to "get rattled about", because you like the person who said it.

All explained now. :)

#122 Desperaux

Desperaux

enthusiastic member

• restrained users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

You got very upset and hostile at someone for using the word "bullshit".  You made quite a fuss about it at the time. We were trying to discover if you only get upset when people you dislike use unpleasant language, so we asked how you felt about Quantril's unnecessary introduction of a racial epithet into a discussion.  We wanted to compare your reaction to that with your reaction to "bullshit".

It appears, from what you've said, that you still are all upset about "bullshit", but you don't mind the use of "the 'N' word" even a little bit.

"Bullshit", used in perspective, is bad because you don't like who said it.  The 'N' word, when used in perspective, is nothing to "get rattled about", because you like the person who said it.

All explained now. :)

Of course! That BS word is coarse and vulgar to most everyone. That is why people who are coarse use it---for shock value. I never use the "N" word, because it is coarse and vulgar. However, in the case cited, it was used in perspective. No one was using it in an accusatory way.

#123 Cy_Click

Cy_Click

Honored Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

POPULAR

Sometimes "bullshit" is used because it describes the situation perfectly. Like, "I'm not too amused by your constant bullshit." would fit this situation perfectly.

#124 aus

aus

loyal member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,907 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

Well!  That seems reasonable enough!  :)

You have no problem with a secular civil union, you only object to describing such as "marriage" because you feel that this is a term reserved for a religious event which has special qualities that aren't applicable to same-sex couples.

I think most of us can live with that.  High-fives!

B)

I think this has always been my position. The Catholic Church at least under Pope Francis support gay rights. So why are not satisfied with  this but want to use the name 'marriage"?

#125 Docinbird

Docinbird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:21 AM

I think this has always been my position. The Catholic Church at least under Pope Francis support gay rights. So why are not satisfied with  this but want to use the name 'marriage"?

So, you are asking that the government, insurance companies, hospitals, etc. come up with a new word to describe a secular "marriage" so the church will not have to?  Even though secular "marriage" has existed longer than the church?

#126 Desperaux

Desperaux

enthusiastic member

• restrained users
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

Sometimes "bullshit" is used because it describes the situation perfectly. Like, "I'm not too amused by your constant bullshit." would fit this situation perfectly.

For coarse people, yes, but not for people who know how to use the English language with a little class. Coarse words are a sing of poverty in that area.

#127 Desperaux

Desperaux

enthusiastic member

• restrained users
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

Seeing as I now have no edit feature, let me say it again, correctly:

Coarse words are a sign of poverty in the area of language skills, and civility.

#128 Desperaux

Desperaux

enthusiastic member

• restrained users
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

Homosexual rights is another matter, and the pope who is supposed to be a leader in your religion should be ashamed of himself. But then, of course, deceived people just have no shame.

#129 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,734 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

Wait -- you are saying that homosexuals do not deserve equal civil rights that other Americans enjoy?

#130 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,734 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:44 AM

"Marriage" simply means blending together. 

We use it for union between people, but haven't you heard it used to reference other things, such as "Our sauce is the perfect marriage of tomato and garlic", or "the marriage of light and texture in this painting make it a great work of art"?  "The marriage of sleek styling and fuel efficiency truly make this a 21st century sedan"?

It doesn't mean that a tomato married a head of garlic in a wedding ceremony, it means the two are blended together in a complementary way.

If it annoys you beyond belief to call a sex-sex couple "married", then... just don't.  And do others the courtesy of allowing them to use the descriptive words that seem applicable to them

Problem solved!  Happy New Year!  B)

#131 Desperaux

Desperaux

enthusiastic member

• restrained users
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:49 AM

Wait -- you are saying that homosexuals do not deserve equal civil rights that other Americans enjoy?

They already have all the human rights everyone else has.

#132 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,734 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

Except the right to marry the person they choose...?  Now corrected in several states, but more lag behind.

#133 Quantril

Quantril

racist

• Members
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

Except the right to marry the person they choose...?  Now corrected in several states, but more lag behind.

Is marriage a right?  

No they shouldn't be allowed to marry or adopt kids.   They are homosexuals, an abomination to God.

Quantrill

#134 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,734 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

But we aren't a theocracy.

Concerns about whether something is abominable to one god or another isn't the place of US legislators, we only recognize secular law here.

If heterosexuals have the "right" to marry, then homosexuals should have the same "right".  God can sort it out later.

#135 minesadorada

minesadorada

veteran member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

God says that the marriage bed is undefiled, which means whatever Christians husbands and wives do in the sanctity of their own bedroom, is OK with God---however we must not be abusive to one another. He revels in our lovemaking. He is the creator of it!

So there is presumably a difference between a 'marriage bed' and a 'civil union bed'?  Is that your objection to same-sex marriage?

#136 Quantril

Quantril

racist

• Members
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

But we aren't a theocracy.

Concerns about whether something is abominable to one god or another isn't the place of US legislators, we only recognize secular law here.

If heterosexuals have the "right" to marry, then homosexuals should have the same "right".  God can sort it out later.

So?   That means they are not killed for being homosexuals.   That doesn't mean its right.  And a governments laws change.  Thus, because it is wrong and sinful then homosexuals should not be allowed to marry or adopt.

Heterosexuals are allowed to marry because it is the right relationship to have.

Quantrill

#137 Quantril

Quantril

racist

• Members
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

So there is presumably a difference between a 'marriage bed' and a 'civil union bed'?  Is that your objection to same-sex marriage?

Same sex marriage is an abominiation and thus that is the objection.

Quantrill

#138 Desperaux

Desperaux

enthusiastic member

• restrained users
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Corrected? LOL! Everyone has the right to marry, but they don't under God---or shouldn't under man's law---have the right to marry someone of the same gender. That is and should be universal, and expecting to be able to marry someone of the same gender is a special "right" that should never be taken as such. It isn't a human right at all.

It's like a bunch of people have come out and said that stealing is a perfectly acceptable way of life and they are going to badger the legislators and declare to everyone who rejects their idea as their own privately constructed word for them: cleptophobes, until they gain enough power to have municipality after municipality bend to their badgering and whining and declare them as a legal lifestyle choice.

Weird? Yep---it certainly is.

#139 Desperaux

Desperaux

enthusiastic member

• restrained users
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

We cannot stop perversion, but we can make sure by law that these engaging in it are censured. Right now we have an "everything goes" culture. It is a death knell for civilization. Remember Sodom and Gomorrah. Every civilization that abandons control and allows open doors to sin and perversity falls hard.

#140 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,734 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

It seems as though the two of you are in the minority of voters, nationwide.  18 states currently recognize and perform same-sex marriages, and current polls indicate that more than 50% of Americans favor this, while 48% do not favor it.  These number are closely related to age... the vast majority of disapprovers are aged 60 and older.  Those under age 60 overwhelmingly tend to favor same-sex marriage rights.

If that's true, in one or two decades this will be moot, because the people who reject equal rights for everyone will be leaving the earth and their vote behind, and there will be no more impediments to happiness and equality for all.

#141 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,734 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

And a governments laws change. 

Yes, I see what you mean.  The majority voting population now favors same-sex marriage and adoption, and those who oppose equality are now in the minority.  That's why we're seeing such an explosion of states approving marriage rights, and undoubtedly more to come in the near future.

Perhaps one day the public opinion will swing back the other way, but right now it's swinging toward equality for all.  I happen to like that, and I hope it continues, because I think it's the right thing to do.

I hate to see people being oppressed in my own country.  That's not what we are supposed to be about.

#142 Quantril

Quantril

racist

• Members
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

It seems as though the two of you are in the minority of voters, nationwide.  18 states currently recognize and perform same-sex marriages, and current polls indicate that more than 50% of Americans favor this, while 48% do not favor it.  These number are closely related to age... the vast majority of disapprovers are aged 60 and older.  Those under age 60 overwhelmingly tend to favor same-sex marriage rights.

If that's true, in one or two decades this will be moot, because the people who reject equal rights for everyone will be leaving the earth and their vote behind, and there will be no more impediments to happiness and equality for all.

Let's see.  50-18=32.   32 out of 50 = 'majority'.    Simple math.

Quantrill

#143 Quantril

Quantril

racist

• Members
  • 4,280 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Yes, I see what you mean. The majority voting population now favors same-sex marriage and adoption, and those who oppose equality are now in the minority. That's why we're seeing such an explosion of states approving marriage rights, and undoubtedly more to come in the near future.

Perhaps one day the public opinion will swing back the other way, but right now it's swinging toward equality for all. I happen to like that, and I hope it continues, because I think it's the right thing to do.

I hate to see people being oppressed in my own country. That's not what we are supposed to be about.

Not according to my math. 50-18= 32. Puts you in the minority. Perhaps one day you and yours will be in the majority and the perversion of homosexuality will be allowed everywhere.

Will that make you the winner? Not hardly. Because coming fast and hard on its heels will be the judgement of God. Noah was the last believer on Earth. Then the judgement. So, enjoy your 'rights' while you can. Cause then there is the accounting.

Quantrill

#144 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,734 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Quantril,

16 of the 18 passed their laws in 2012.  Utah in 2013. The District of Columbia passed a law that will take effect today, January 1st, 2014.  The graph line is trending sharply upward.

So, yes.  It is just a matter of time.  And that's a good thing.  And the states who have passed laws recognizing same-sex marriages are the ones with high population, so those 18 states plus the District of Columbia represent about 50% of the US population. Around 50% of Americans now live in a state where same-sex marriage is legal and respected.  And if polls are accurate, young people nationwide support this, so the number will just keep increasing.

Will I be a "winner"?  No, because I'm not playing any game.  The winners will be the people, those who are no longer oppressed and those who no longer are oppressors.  I feel happiness for all the same-sex couples that will finally be able to enjoy the rights and benefits that other have enjoyed. I wish them all well. Good for them!

I'll take my chances with the so-called "accounting".  The type of god who enjoys people's suffering is not really my sort of deity anyway.  If I was going to worship any god, I'd pick one that seemed to me to have good morals.

(shrug)  I know it's difficult for you to comprehend how anyone could not see god and the universe exactly as you do, but nevertheless, there are folks who just don't see it your way. 

I have no worries about being punished forever by a nasty cruel demon-god who broods and sulks and curses and murders those who piss him off.  At one time, I might have gotten hooked by a religion with a loving, merciful, helpful, kind deity, but it seems that ship has sailed. Your god, as you describe him, is not attractive to me, nor do I feel that his actions as you describe them are worthy of true deity. 

You take some sort of pleasure and comfort in imagining me burning in hell for thinking this way, and that's the true sad thing.  You've completely bought into the fierce, vengeful, demonic "god" with all his hellfire and disease and obsession with sin.   All the attributes of vengeance, cruelty, hatred, jealousy, mocking, punishing, murdering, causing disease and famine on a whim... why would anyone worship that, except perhaps out of abject fear? 

5 years ago, 1 state. 2012, 17 states. 2013, 18 states. 2014, 19 and counting. Half the country can already receive a same-sex marriage where they live. And the young people of the country, who support same-sex marriage in a large majority, will eventually be the bulk of the voting public. This change seems inevitable. Good. :)

Reply to this topic

FM
Copyright © 2014 Fool Moon LLC