mmoghand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

Let's review the school administration's argument:

"If this kid is allowed to wear canerows, some other boy might join a gang."

Really?

That's not even a failed syllogism. It is not a reasonable sounding argument that runs afoul of the informal fallacies.

The argument is absurd on the face of it.

Now sure, a school can make a sensible policy such as banning gang tattoos, jewelry and haircuts. (Symbols cut into the backs of heads of hair.) That system was standard for Los Angeles Basin schools last I was there.

Canerows ??? That's not smart.

#47 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

I think it was in the 90s that we saw hats, bandanas, and even Starter brand jackets with sports team themes barred from all manner of place. The clothing has been adopted by gang members, wannabes, and was targeted by thieves.

#48 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

It might be better to have scjhool uniforms as in Australia and Britain.

#49 Docinbird

Docinbird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:56 PM

It might be better to have scjhool uniforms as in Australia and Britain.

Wouldn't that be taking enforced conformity to the extreme?

#50 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

It seems to work here. Of course exceptions have to made for certain students on religious or other grounds. But this can be incorporated in the uniform poliy. In the end if all students wear the same clothers there is less competition or showing off.

#51 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

World News/Sports moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:35 AM

To give a bit of background into this case - it was 5 years ago, after all.

The school in question, St. Gregory's Catholic Science College, only permitted "short back and sides" haircuts for boys, amid fears that other styles, not limited to cornrows, could encourage "gang culture". The High Court ruled in the boy's favour, but said the policy was "perfectly permissible" but should take into account family traditions.

"There are a number of Afro-Caribbeans for whom cutting their hair and wearing it in cornrows is a matter of their cultural background... And can work against them in the basis of their ethnicity. There is no question of this school being in any way racist. This was an honest mistake... it was an error. But I am satisfied that is the policy is applied without the possibility of exception, the it is unlawful. I have decided that there was unlawful indirect racial discrimination that was not justified"

#52 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

I doubt if any school would today insist onshort back and sides today. Most school uniforms today allow for turbans and other head covering.

Reply to this topic

Copyright © 2017 Fool Moon LLC