51 replies to this topic

#31 cassielA

cassielA

Absolutely incredible, in the literal sense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

Helice thank you for your kind words which I have come to expect from you at certain times,your kind words are always a source of comfort an strength to me I just want you to know that.

Quote:
It's a bit repetitive having you manufacture situations in which you make yourself a victim for the purpose of crying about how abused you are. It has become your trademark, and it isn't a trademark that you ought to be especially proud of.

No-one cares what color you are. You are the one focused completely on race in this and all other discussions, and it makes having a conversation with you both tedious and fruitless.

Helice you might not care but some people might who are not like you.I am a normal black person who can talk about how blacks were treated in England in the 70's and 80's and today,I know you dont want to hear about it but what can I say.If I wore a skull cap and liked naked sword fighting I bet you would be interested then,true or lie Helice?

#32 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:30 AM

Black kid gets fussed over his hair and you're on it for days. White kid gets fussed for his hair and you dismiss it as too long and not a clean hair style like the black kid.

Every one of us can carry a chip about something. You though, you keep going over to the wood pile. It's all rotten and full of bugs, but you just have to carry some around.

#33 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

Examples of cornrow hairdos that are neat and tidy for uniformed schoolboys:

Examples of cornrow hairdos that are *not* neat and tidy for uniformed schoolboys:

There is no one single cornrow hairstyle. Some variations are attractive and neat; others are sloppy and messy-looking.

As I said previously, I can't comment on this story because I haven't seen any picture of the haircut that the school objected to. If it was neat like the first 2 photos I posted, the school would have made a mistake. If the hairstyle was long and messy, like the latter 2 here, or had words or numbers or designs woven into it, I would likely side with the school.

Oh, and cassie... once again you have taken great pains to point out that you are black, and once again I reply: I don't care. Please stop it.

Quote:
If I wore a skull cap and liked naked sword fighting I bet you would be interested then

I am seldom moved to speak this strongly, but this statement of yours is just too f**cking stupid for words. Don't do it again.

#34 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Aint

Black kid gets fussed over his hair and you're on it for days. White kid gets fussed for his hair and you dismiss it as too long and not a clean hair style like the black kid.

cornrow-48483413937.jpeg

This hairstyle looks good on NO-body.

#35 ~__airwizard__~_(Guest)_~

~__airwizard__~_(Guest)_~
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

My Dear Lord....
This is clarly a case of aversive racism.
It is the most common form of racism among white Americans who grew up after the fall of Jim Crow in the 1960s.

#36 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

So "aversive racism" has something to do with a British school banning certain haircuts?

#37 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

There sure are lots of kinds of racism. Should we try to catch them all in our Poké Balls?

#38 Dax

Dax

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

I didn't know what the term "averse racism" meant, so I looked it up. Here is what Wikipedia has to say:

"Aversive Racism is a theory proposed by Samuel L. Gaertner & John F. Dovidio (1986) based on the idea that evaluations of racial/ethnic minorities are characterized by a conflict between Whites' endorsement of egalitarian values and their unacknowledged negative attitudes toward racial/ethnic out-groups. As opposed to old-fashioned racism, which is characterized by overt hatred for and discrimination against racial/ethnic minorities, aversive racism is characterized by more complex, ambivalent racial expressions and attitudes."

This means, in simpler form, that whites talk about equality, but evaluate minorities based on unspoken prejudices and assumptions that the white secretly and perhaps even unconsciously hold.

On the surface this seems reasonable, certainly it would apply as well to the majority in places where whites are the minority. However, even if averse racism is present in some people, it is not a universal standard.

#39 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

Dax,

Thanks for the definition.

It seems to me unnecessary to qualify this "averse racism" as being white against black. Based on the given definition, it could apply to any two ethnic groups with innate prejudices, could it not?

You might have whites secretly bigoted against blacks, blacks secretly bigoted against Jews, Jews secretly bigoted against Hispanics, Arabs secretly bigoted against Jews, Asians secretly bigoted against all non-Asians, all of them all the while overtly professing universal tolerance and brotherly love. Or any mix of the previous combinations. There is no reason to stipulate that a member of a generally oppressed minority cannot himself be a bigot toward some other group. In fact, there is every reason to believe that a person who believes that he is unfairly oppressed would harbor deep resentments about the perceived oppressions, and manifest a reflection of the perceived bias, bigotry, and prejudice in kind, tit-for-tat.

Perhaps a less-charged, less-accusatory, milder way of stating the situation would be to say that people do indeed hold within their hearts that bigotry is bad and tolerance and acceptance and equal treatment are the right attitudes to hold, but due to the way they were raised or influences exerted on them through life, they have deeply embedded, almost subconscious biases against some "other" group. Most of them probably truly wish to be fair and bias-free, but the old jokes and slurs and slang they heard from their parents and friends while growing up lurk within and are never completely forgotten.

The biggest obstacle to a unified culture is separatism and refusal to assimilate into a unified culture. People living in the UK as citizens should all self-identify as British. There should be no thought of describing oneself as a White Brit or a Black Brit or an Arab Brit. British is British. When a person becomes a citizen of a country, he accepts that country's culture and values and lives within the society.

Insomuch as this has occurred in America, mostly in large cities at the middle-class level and up, the levels of racial tension have dropped dramatically. Small rural towns lag behind the progressiveness of the large cities. Complete integration into society and willingness to drop a separatist manner of speech and dress that differs from those of the majority facilitates unity of culture and promotes a sense of togetherness. Groups that insist of wearing non-American clothing styles in public and who cultivate an insular patois or heavy accent that the majority cannot understand are working against the unification of the culture into a cohesive whole. A nation must be a nation, not a bunch of little embassies of other countries living in walled communities across a land.

America is rapidly becoming a majority-Hispanic country. In our last census, Hispanics number more than 50% of the population of children aged three years and under. In a very few years, European-whites will become a minority in America. This feels threatening to many whites, and understandably so... losing the majority position to a group that was not treated well when they were a minority causes unspoken fears of repercussion for past sins, and also a grief for a culture that seems like it may be swallowed whole by Mexican culture and language. This fear and regret will be the cause of increasing racial tensions between Hispanics and both blacks and whites who have unspoken but strong fears and resentments about this fast-growing segment of the population.

Mutual bigotry between Hispanics and blacks is becoming a major problem, coming close to eclipsing the old established black-white tensions. Blacks are bigoted against Hispanics because they feel that after fighting for their equality for generations, just as they are within reach of their long-held goals, a new minority slipped in and simply out-numbered them, and the Hispanics don't have all the emotion and hard-learned lessons of the Civil Rights movement that whites learned through the past decades.... they are simply prejudiced against black people, culturally, and see nothing wrong with that. I can see how this would seem maddening to blacks... it's like almost needing to start from scratch in the battle for cultural equality.

All the pent-up resentment that minorities hold against Caucasian Americans will become obsolete soon, as the new Hispanic-majority generations come of age. I would not be surprised to find whites and blacks united together as the resentful underdogs in the new Hispanic-Latino-Spanish America. :smile:

Learn Spanish! And you, in the UK.... learn Arabic!

#40 Dax

Dax

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Helice
It seems to me unnecessary to qualify this "averse racism" as being white against black. Based on the given definition, it could apply to any two ethnic groups with innate prejudices, could it not?

Sure, but the theory of adverse racism as expounded by its creators was applied only to the white vs. black example.

#41 ~__airwizard__~_(Guest)_~

~__airwizard__~_(Guest)_~
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

Rather than trying create solutions to treat the symptoms of racism in The World, we need to focus more preventing racism in the first place.

#42 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

Quote:
we need to focus more preventing racism in the first place.

This sounds like a great idea.

How do we do it? :smile:

#43 MountainLaurel

MountainLaurel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

cassielA you said:
Quote:
Aint I agree with any schools policy on a dress code,but that school was attacking black culture by banning that boy from school with that hair style.

How is that attacking black culture??? Can a white boy with a mullet wear that to school too then? That 'could' be considered culture too. It's called following a set of rules.

If the school was allowing students of another race to wear their hair that way and not the black boy then there should be a problem.

#44 DixieNurse

DixieNurse

enthusiastic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

cassielA you said:

Quote:
Aint I agree with any schools policy on a dress code,but that school was attacking black culture by banning that boy from school with that hair style.

How is that attacking black culture??? Can a white boy with a mullet wear that to school too then? That 'could' be considered culture too. It's called following a set of rules.

If the school was allowing students of another race to wear their hair that way and not the black boy then there should be a problem.

Not sure if Cassie is around anymore, but I can tell you for sure that unless you have been a black person in his world, there is no understanding him.  Period.  There is way more to Cassie than is probably known around here, because he shared some things with me a while back--read up on it--tried to post a link, but I have forgotten how.

At any rate, George Ruddock (Cassie), was involved in a tragic fire--the cause of which was never really investigated...called the New Cross house fire.  Wikipedia took a perfunctory look at it, but there are hundreds of documents, mostly a coverup and I think perhaps our Cassie never quite got over it.

I hope he is doing well now--and wearing the neatest of cornrows....

#45 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

I miss Cassie and others on this forum as well.

Reply to this topic

Copyright © 2017 Fool Moon LLC