cassielA

Absolutely incredible, in the literal sense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

Chocolategenii:

Quote:
When I hire a young person to work for me these days.....besides having a charming personality - the potential hiree must NOT have tatoos, crazy colored hair, too many piercings etc. My decision has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with general "appearance".

I think that you would have a fair policy when it comes to hiring people but we are not talking about hiring anyone for a job,we are talking about a child going to school.

I onced worked for a ford dealership it was opened in 1929 and I was the first black salesman they ever employed in my home town.If a blackman came for a job having the dreadlocks hair style and he did not get the job,and he said to anyone that it was racism,I would tell him to stop it,I would tell him that him not getting the job had nothing to do with race,the dealership had certain standards,and I think that most black people would tell him the same thing.

There is no defence for what this school did,and the killing of Smiley Culture and stories like this just reminds people like me why they do not call themselves an Englishman or sometimes even call themselves british.

#17 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

World News/Sports moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

From the BBC:

Quote:
He said the school's policy "plays a critical role in ensuring that the culture associated with gangs of boys in particular - eg haircuts, bandanas, jewellery, hats, hoodies, etc - has no place in our school

The school never claimed that cornrow hairstyle is associated with gangs, but the rule was to prevent those styles that ARE.

Cass, I am a firm believer that rules should apply equally to EVERYONE REGARDLESS OF RACE. Therefore, if the school has a rule that says hair must be styled a certain way, then that rule should apply to EVERYONE. You, however, seem to think that such rules should not apply to black children.

Quote:
English people like you will always make excuses like this for wrong doing against black people

In what way does applying this rule to this child, as it is with every other child at the school, "doing wrong against black people"?

Quote:
they do not like the babylon system that you love

I love the babylon system? I don't even know what that is!

#18 cassielA

cassielA

• Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

Jack:

Quote:

The school never claimed that cornrow hairstyle is associated with gangs, but the rule was to prevent those styles that ARE.

I have a question for you Jack who says that the canerow style is associated with gangs?I would just like to say while you are thinking about that question it is no longer possible for other people in other races to define what black people are or will be in future.

Talking about this with my wife who is not from my race she asked a great question which was why is that black girls have not been banned from school because they came to school with the canerow hair style?

Jack:

Quote:
Cass, I am a firm believer that rules should apply equally to EVERYONE REGARDLESS OF RACE. Therefore, if the school has a rule that says hair must be styled a certain way, then that rule should apply to EVERYONE. You, however, seem to think that such rules should not apply to black children.

Jack I know that my grammer leaves a lot to be desired but I hope I have not given you the impression that I think that black people should be treated differently because they are black,and if you are not getting that impression from my post I am not sure what you are getting at.

#19 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

So now it's sexist?

Presented without comment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/17/taylor-pugh-4yearold-texa_n_395550.html

#20 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:45 AM

Quote:
who says that the canerow style is associated with gangs?

No-one, as far as I can see. The point is that allowing this style (which may or may not be gang-related) will lead to them having to allow other styles that ARE gang related.

Quote:
why is that black girls have not been banned from school because they came to school with the canerow hair style?

I'd because it's because, rightly or wrongly, girls are perceived to be less likely to be part of violent street gangs.

Quote:
I hope I have not given you the impression that I think that black people should be treated differently because they are black,and if you are not getting that impression from my post I am not sure what you are getting at.

We have a situation where a a school has set a rule. However, the courts have decided that this rule should not apply to black people. You seem to support this view. Am I wrong in this assumption? Is this not discriminatory? You have rules that apply to some children but not others? Or am I completely missing the point of the story?

#21 cassielA

cassielA

• Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:27 AM

Good morning Aint you said:

Quote:
So now it's sexist?

Black girls have been going to school with the canerow style for decades and never had a problem,and its only some people who have a limited grasp of street life in England will say that girls are not in gangs today.I have to add this is the first time black people in this country have heard that having the canerow style could be classed as being gang related,ridiculous.

Aint:

Quote:
Presented without comment.

huffington post

Quote:
his long locks violate the dress code in his suburban Dallas school district

The answer is in the link that you supplied,I spotted the answer,but you seemed to have missed it,"long hair".The canerow style is short and neat,plesae can we not compare apples and oranges,there's a good chap.

Now to my English friend Jack who I thinks speaks for quite a few Englismen in England on this racist subject

Jack:

Quote:
No-one, as far as I can see. The point is that allowing this style (which may or may not be gang-related) will lead to them having to allow other styles that ARE gang related.

I am not very educated and you are a student I am not sure if I should be going to night school because I do not understand what you are saying,what other styles are you talking about?

Let's for a second say that the canerow style is gang related,black peoples gangs are nothing in comparison with the gangs that your teachers and leaders have joined,I take it that you have heard of the freemason,they are the biggest and most evil gang in the world their centers of learning satanic lodge twang are everywhere,our parents generation may not be aware of this but our generation are on it.

Jack:

Quote:
We have a situation where a a school has set a rule.

Which the british courts said was wrong,sorry your point was?

Jack:

Quote:
However, the courts have decided that this rule should not apply to black people.

Bollocks,the british court have just said that schools are not allowed to define for black people what passes for a neat and tidy hair style in England.Jack I know what you doing,I have encountered this kind of reasoning and thinking before,and its sad.I will say to you Jack and others who are trying and failing to defend this racist incident that not only have you not got a leg to stand on when it comes to this subject,you have not even got a stump to lean on,fact not fiction.

Jack:

Quote:
You seem to support this view. Am I wrong in this assumption?

No Jack you are not wrong.This kid that was removed from school for having an African hair style this could have been my child,and English people like you should remember that we are not like our parents who came to this country and believed that this country was going to educate our generation.If something went wrong at school we could not even tell out parents because our parents always believed the school and the teachers but our generation is not like that,expect more confrontations in schools in the future.

Jack:

Quote:
Is this not discriminatory? You have rules that apply to some children but not others? Or am I completely missing the point of the story?

I don't think that you are missing the point of the story,its just that you are looking at this story from the point of view of a normal typical Englishman,people like myself are looking at this story from the point of view of an oppressed people who are always being told that racism is not as bad as it used to be.

9.52 am and the BBC is asking the question is britain full and does Multiculturalism work?My family is sleeping and I will be cooking a west indian meal,I will be listening to the discussion with a smile on my face.I have my answer already which is,no England is not  full,and judging by the racist canerow story,no Multiculturalism does not work.

#22 ~__airwizard__~_(Guest)_~

~__airwizard__~_(Guest)_~
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:17 AM

This is getting pathetic, Cornrows, cainrows what ever they are called through the caribbean or Africa are not gang related fullstop.. And people who thinks it is are brain dead, this is not to say certain gangs may have adopted this hair stylye. This was about before groups of men or women were called gangs.

Cornroll, also known as braids and in American English commonly referred to by the slang abbreviation crows[citation needed], are a traditional African style of hair grooming where the hair is braided very close to the scalp, using an underhand, upward motion to produce a continuous, raised row. Cornrows are often formed, as the name implies, in simple, straight lines, but they can also be formed in complicated geometric or curvilinear designs.

Often favored for their easy maintenance, cornrows can be left in for weeks at a time if maintained through careful washing of the hair and regular oiling of the scalp. If the scalp is not oiled properly, the end results can be dandruff, major hair loss, and an itchy head.

Cornrowed hairstyles are often adorned with beads or cowry shells, in the African and Caribbean tradition. Depending on the region of the world, cornrows are typically worn by either men, women or both.

#23 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

Cornrows, like every other hairstyle in the world, look good on some people and terrible on others. I think cornrows are best suited to women with the right kind of hair to hold them; smooth straight hair looks bad when braided into tight rows. Most white people, asian people, Indian people, and Native American people have smooth, thick, straight hair that doesn't braid well, and this hairstyle is almost always an unattractive choice for them.

The cornrow hairstyle covers many, many variations. Some of them *are* quite short, nice, and neat, but there are cornrow hairstyles that are put into wild distracting patterns or combined with dreadlocks or longer braids, and these are most definitely *not* short and neat-looking. I have seen many cornrow styles that look attractive and neat and flatter the wearer, and I have seen others that are woven into words, numbers, or large geometrical shapes that not only look *silly*, but are loud, ugly, unattractive, and sometimes make the hair look dirty & unwashed. No hairstyle is automatically going to flatter the person who wears it; when choosing a hairstyle one must choose with discretion and taste and get feedback from other people with taste.

I can envision styles in which I would say the hair was perfectly acceptable and neat for school, and some styles of rows that would not be. For that reason I wouldn't be able to comment on this original story about the British boy with cornrows unless I saw his photo with the hairstyle objected to by the school. It's not impossible that they are right about it.

#24 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

So now it's about hair length and hair length is racist.

#25 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

Wait. What?

#26 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:49 PM

You're reading it just like I am. Either that or little white boys have dirty hair.

#27 cassielA

cassielA

• Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:19 AM

I Will say to you Aint and Helice I was waiting for you to chime in with you well Chosen words I have to say that 90% of my friends have white wives or partners and all of them that I have managed to speak to on this subject say that this incident is racist and british society is racist.Some of these white women are more pissed off than some black people because they sometimes see their own kids that they have had with black men being abused by some teachers in british schools.

The Western world has spent the last 400 years defining black people but thank god black people in England at least are now able to define what some people are really like in some races and take the appropiate actions like taking racist schools to court,like in this recent case.

Helice,Aint and lets not forget Jack,you can all scoff as much as you like,you can try and belittle as much as you like but this story just reminds me of what it was like in this country in the 70's when black people were abused mentally and if we tried to stick up for ourselves we were told that "we had a chip on our shoulders".When I was young I never had an answer for that subtle piece of racism but I have now if and when my children hears that comment I am going to tell them to say "if I have a chip on my shoulder its because racist people like you have fashioned that chip and placed on my shoulder.

I have no more to add so you who like to scoff go ahead and scoff.

#28 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:26 AM

Quote:
little white boys have dirty hair.

Some of them certainly do. What was your point...?

#29 Helice

Helice

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,437 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:37 AM

Cassie,

It's a bit repetitive having you manufacture situations in which you make yourself a victim for the purpose of crying about how abused you are. It has become your trademark, and it isn't a trademark that you ought to be especially proud of.

No-one cares what color you are. You are the one focused completely on race in this and all other discussions, and it makes having a conversation with you both tedious and fruitless.

#30 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:19 AM

One more time, just for grins:

Why should one child be exempt from the rules just because of the colour of his skin?

Reply to this topic

Copyright © 2017 Fool Moon LLC