51 replies to this topic

#1 cassielA

cassielA

Absolutely incredible, in the literal sense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:52 PM

I woke up this morning and this was leading story on the morning news on the BBC.

Guardian.co.uk

Quote:
An 11-year-old boy who was turned away on his first day at secondary school for wearing his hair in cornrows, has won his case at the high court after a judge ruled the school's policy resulted in "indirect racial discrimination".

The boy, now aged 13, was refused entry to St Gregory's Catholic Science College in Kenton, Harrow, north London in September 2009 because his hairstyle did not comply with the strict uniform policy. The school only allowed a conservative "short back and sides" hairstyle for boys amid concerns that other styles could encourage "gang culture".

I am really pleased that this young boy took this school to court and won.I think all normal people will hear this story and shake their heads.

I spoke to my friends daughter who is 15 who said that the teachers said that it is always the black children who cause all the trouble,I should have been shocked by her comments but I was not because I remember what the teachers were like when I went to school.I remember this teacher who asked my girlfriend and my friends girlfriends why they could not go out with boys of their own color,I will never forget that comment as long as I live.

#2 minesadorada

minesadorada

enthusiastic member

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

It was about a hairstyle, not skin colour.

#3 cassielA

cassielA

• Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:42 AM

minesadorada I was explaining to my friend about your posts,I was saying there are some people like you in the world that have a brown skin that never have problems with race in life,but you must be one of the lucky ones in life.

minesadorada:

Quote:
It was about a hairstyle, not skin colour.

If you don't mind I would just like to say it was about an African hairstyle called "canerow".When was the last time you saw someone in another race wearing their hair in that style?

The more the western world tell people like me that there is no racism or it has stopped we look for it even harder.

This video is dedicated to you minesadorada:

#4 minesadorada

minesadorada

enthusiastic member

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:48 AM

Hi CassieIA,

Many years ago, whilst at school I tried to grow my hair longer 'hippy style' and was eventually told to get it cut else I would not be allowed to attend.

I didn't whine to my parents to go to court.

I didn't try to turn it into another imagined issue, like skin colour, length of nose, eye colour etc.

I weighed my options, and went to the barbers.

I thought (at the time) that there was a prejudice against 'long haired kids' at the school.

When I became an adult, I realised that the school wanted to maintain in the pupils a uniform appearance for the same reasons that there was a mandatory school clothes uniform.

So I'm calling bullshit on the cornrows and daft political correctness in the Guardian story. I'm guessing there are other untold issues between this kid, his parents and the teachers.

I'm also saying racism is a two way street, and any person who acts like a victim will tend to attract and encourage bullies.

#5 cassielA

cassielA

• Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:02 AM

minesadorada:

Quote:
Many years ago, whilst at school I tried to grow my hair longer 'hippy style' and was eventually told to get it cut else I would not be allowed to attend.

Can I ask in which country you attended school?

In the 70's I used to go to school and had to wear a uniform and if teachers saw you and your tie was not done up you would have had to do 400 lines,but the children were allowed to have mohican hair cuts,do you remember punk?I would say that this story has pissed me off but I have to say it's good because when we have toss-pots saying that racism is not as bad as it used to be in England we can smile and refer them to this and other incidents.

My wife who is white was just saying that having the canerow syle is much tidier than having an afro,and who in their right minds could ever consider the canerow as a sign of gang culture?I can answer that racist teachers who are trying to undermine black children.I can see a time when some teachers may be targeted.

I and some of my have friends have children that are doing very well at school amd we are keeping an eye on the teachers and the schools,we are not like some of our parents who came to this country and thought that their children would be treated fairly in school,we went to school here in England and we and were mis-educated,we know the score.

minesadorada:

Quote:
So I'm calling bullshit on the cornrows and daft political correctness in the Guardian story. I'm guessing there are other untold issues between this kid, his parents and the teachers.

I do not have anymore information than you do,so I cannot and will not make them kind of assumptions.

#6 cassielA

cassielA

• Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

What's sad about this story is that it shows that race relations really have not moved on from the 80's in this country.The prime minister of England David Cameron said recently that multi-culturalism had failed,I thought that was an odd comment.

BBC.com

Quote:
David Cameron has criticised "state multiculturalism" in his first speech as prime minister on radicalisation and the causes of terrorism.

At a security conference in Munich, he argued the UK needed a stronger national identity to prevent people turning to all kinds of extremism.

The reason I say that David Camerons statement was odd was because black people have integrated,but I understand what he is really saying which is that the muslims have not integrated.
When we see stories like this piece of open racism in this school the black community wishes that they were more like the muslim community,they have a community and they should safeguard it at all costs.

When the black community was strong I went to a party in London,there was a fire and I and other some other people had to jump for their lives.

http://www.blackpeoplesdayofaction.org/

This tragedy changed race relations in this country,I thought and hoped it would be for the better,but when I see racist stories like this about the canerow,it's clear that all that it will do is to make the black people in the community who say they hate white people because they are racist stronger.

#7 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

David Beckham. There's a white guy with cornrows. And an English chap to boot.

Schools tend to have dress codes that cover hair styles. Catholic schools can be quite strict. My buddy's kid goes to one where their shoes have to be black, brown or oxblood loafers or oxfords. No sneakers. Navy pants with a light blue oxford shirt. The shirt has to have the school logo on it. They have to wear a belt; black, brown or oxblood with no decorations or fancy buckles. Their hair has to be off the collar, over the ears and away from their faces. No hair dye. Any facial hair has to be neatly trimmed. No tattoos. No piercings and no hats. There are even rules about winter coats and jewelry.

Those are pretty similar to dress codes I had as a kid in school. Even in public school, we had dress codes. We wore street clothes in public school (we called it pubic school) back then, and there were rules on them.

All those dress code rules apply equally to all students.

This issue pops up every year in US schools. Seems it's usually over some boy who wants to have long, flowing, fine, straight rock star hair. What colour complexion a boy do you suppose that usually is?

#8 cassielA

cassielA

• Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:33 AM

Voice of America:

Quote:
David Beckham. There's a white guy with cornrows. And an English chap to boot.

That is true Aint but I wonder where he got the idea from,what do you think,is it because he is like a lot of white people that spend to much time around black people,they go native.How many white people have you seen with that hair style,not many I am betting.That hair style does not suit everybody it does not suit all black people,and to be fair David Beckham got away with it.

Aint I agree with any schools policy on a dress code,but that school was attacking black culture by banning that boy from school with that hair style.There is no neater hair style for a blackman to wear than having the canerow style,fact not fiction.There is no serious argument about that from anybody who considers themselves fair and who are not racist.

The more i think about this case it just makes me think that black people are really wasting their time when it come to race relations in England.

BBC.com
Quote:
a judge ruled the school's policy resulted in "indirect racial discrimination

I see the judge ran some interference for the racist teachers by saying what he did,but I have taken a straw poll of black people and 8 out of 10 black people who expressed a preference said that they believed that the teachers involved with this boys case had a policy of direct racial discrimination.

The very idea that teachers sat down and discussed this and came up with this idea and the headteacher,and the governors of the school did not have the good sense to tell the teachers that they were barking up the wrong tree speaks volumes about white racists in british society.

I am glad that the boys family took this racist school to court and won black people have to be more assertive when it comes to race in this country we have to stand up to the racist and confront them,and I am sure that this case is going to help the cause.

#9 ~__airwizard__~_(Guest)_~

~__airwizard__~_(Guest)_~
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

Hi Cass

I have to agree with you on this one, I saw the articke in the daily newspapers and the first thought that came to my mind was racism.
I think the point the school was trying to make, that his hair style could have been gang related, another form of racism because a black kid has his hair in a certain manner he is affiliated with gang culture.
Would he been classed a flat top gang if had a flat top, or would he be classed as a skin head, if it was all cut off. This just goes to show how Im sorry to say, the white man will always find a way to persecute black people.

Maybe the judge who overruled was one of these, white judges who has to bounce a brown baby on his his lap from his daughter or grandaughter. Lol

#10 cassielA

cassielA

• Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

Hello airwizard I am starting to wonder certain things about you I have never really had someone from England on foolmoon who seems to agree with me on certain things.

airwizard:

Quote:
Maybe the judge who overruled was one of these, white judges who has to bounce a brown baby on his his lap from his daughter or grandaughter. Lol

This may be true but I think it's more like the judge may be just as racist as the those racist teachers in that catholic school,but he probably does not like dumb racism.

#11 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

You had it Cass! You had it right in your hand and you threw it away.

Quote:
Cass: There is no neater hair style for a blackman to wear than having the canerow style,

That's the way to argue it. If the hair style is functional and beneficial, it should be allowed. Get it in on its merits, not its blackness.

#12 cassielA

cassielA

• Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:00 AM

Hello Aint talking about this subject makes me sad its like talking about homosexuality it drains me spiritually.

Aint:
Quote:
That's the way to argue it. If the hair style is functional and beneficial, it should be allowed. Get it in on its merits, not its blackness.

I know that and you know that,so why was the school so racist?I was going to say this but I was just going to let this thread fade away.

In the 70's when blackmen like me thought that we were little rastamen and wore wollen hats,we were told by this society to take the "tea cosy's off",and were asked were do you think you are?30 years on David Beckam wears a wollen hat now you can see young white males wearing wollen hats all over the country.Wearing wollen hats was not and is not a black thing,it's just that this society we live in likes to attack the black culture when it feels like it.

#13 jackdiddley

jackdiddley

World News/Sports moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:33 AM

The school never said that the cornrow style was affliated with gangs. They said that to allow one child to have a style that contravened the rules, others would follow. Others that ARE affliated with gangs. Do pay attention.

It is not about race. What this tells me is that a kid (and his parents) didn't enjoy being told no.

Rules must apply to everyone eqully. This ruling essentially says that if you are not white, the rules of the school do not apply to you. And that, dear friends, is just as discriminating.

#14 cassielA

cassielA

• Members
  • 2,876 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

Jack:
Quote:
Do pay attention

I have been I am black and born in England,ebony people like me always pay attention to racism when are you going to start to do the same thing,and stop asking strange questions?
Guardian.com:

Quote:
High court rules against London secondary school after boy was refused entry for breaching ban on 'gang-related' hairstyles

Jack:
Quote:

It is not about race. What this tells me is that a kid (and his parents) didn't enjoy being told no.

Whatever.

Jack:
Quote:
Rules must apply to everyone eqully. This ruling essentially says that if you are not white, the rules of the school do not apply to you. And that, dear friends, is just as discriminating.

Jack its times like this that I do like myself because I am writing a calm post.What I will say to you is this because English people like you will always make excuses like this for wrong doing against black people it will come as no surprise to you or anybody else that Black people today do not join the police and the armed services like this society would like them to do,they do not like the babylon system that you love,and they know "there is no black in the union joke".

#15 Chocolategenii

Chocolategenii

• Banned
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

When I hire a young person to work for me these days.....besides having a charming personality - the potential hiree must NOT have tatoos, crazy colored hair, too many piercings etc. My decision has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with general "appearance".

btw, in the 70's Bo Derek did cornrows real well! :smile:

Reply to this topic

Copyright © 2017 Fool Moon LLC