Theme© by Fisana

Fool Moon
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Unsticking The Pages Of A Book

Best Answer WakeHolden , 28 September 2007 - 10:41 AM

Aint. Put your book in a frost free freezer. This will halt the damage and gradually remove the moisture...it may take several days, and it may leave the pages crinkled, but you can iron them flat again with a warm iron.Seperate the edges with a very thin razor knife or dissecting scalpel. Go to the full post

26 replies to this topic

#1 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:46 PM

I just bought a soil test kit and it came with a book. The pages are all stuck together. The book is like a piece of rigid but brittle cardboard.

What happened is the display these kits were on was in direct sun light and they got wet. The reagents should be OK because they are sealed in foil and were inside the pack, protected from the sun. The pages stuck together when wet then dried out in the sun and fused together. I think the reaction here was more physical than chemical.

I tried gently pulling the pages. That's not working. Maybe putting the book in the microwave with a cup of water will unstick the pages. The steam may hydrate the pages and seperate them from each other.

Best I can tell, each page is coated in some waxy laminate. They're glossy pages.

Ideas?

#2 stone

stone

Computer Tips Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

When I was little, I had an old stack of Playboys I stashed out in the woods under a tarp. The exact same thing happened to these old magazines. No matter how gently you tried pulling them apart, they just ended up getting ripped to shreds. How I wish I could have posted such a question as this to such a forum.

#3 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:38 PM

Stone, your story is exactly why I specified what kind of book

I tried the cup of water in the microwave idea. First for 4 minutes. Then for 8 minutes and 47 seconds. All that got me was a very hot book and some noxious fumes. What ever the gloss and ink is made of releases some terrible gasses when heated.

Next I tried placing the book over a pot of boiling water. The set up was the book on a metal grate held over a few inches over the pot by some bricks. The back page fell apart and the rest of the book was hot but still stuck.

So, I decided to put the whole book in warm water. It sat in water till the whole book was saturated. I was able to separate one whole page from another, but that was it. The other pages either came apart in pieces, didn't come apart at all or the pages actually tore away from themselves. I mean, one page would pull apart like two ply toilet paper, wet two ply toilet paper.

This book is too well stuck for house hold remedy. The test kit company emailed me directions and is sending a whole new book, free.

I would still like to know a way to do this. I'm sure people who restore old books have chemicals for this job.

#4 Myrddin

Myrddin

loyal member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

Maybe acetone might work, or remove all the ink.

Perhaps the glue used to secure the pages to the back, leaked into the pages.

Did you try freezing the book? Probably won't help much though.

#5 lizbeth

lizbeth

• Members
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:55 AM

Let me ask at work tomorrow, although I'm really not sure from your description if the pages were glossy or plasicized. Hopefully, Greg will be at work--otherwise, I'll try to e-mail our mender.

In the meantime, I'm glad you're getting a new book for free.

#6 Elena

Elena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:56 AM

Quote:
Maybe putting the book in the microwave with a cup of water will unstick the pages. The steam may hydrate the pages and seperate them from each other.

Ain’t, paraffin wax + water + heat = explosion. Don’t do it.

#7 WakeHolden

WakeHolden

over-experienced member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,109 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:41 AM   Best Answer

Aint. Put your book in a frost free freezer. This will halt the damage and gradually remove the moisture...it may take several days, and it may leave the pages crinkled, but you can iron them flat again with a warm iron.Seperate the edges with a very thin razor knife or dissecting scalpel.

#8 stone

stone

Computer Tips Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

Quote:
Ain’t, paraffin wax + water + heat = explosion.

SWEET!

Thanks for the tip.

#9 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

Maybe, but not in the case of this book. My wet book did not explode. I'm now even more disappointed.

The book was already dry. Totally dry. I suppose I could put the now wet book in the freezer and try it. Thing is, I think the damage is already done.

#10 lizbeth

lizbeth

• Members
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:26 AM

Aint--Here's what I found out.

The book needs to be thoroughly wet, then the pages within a signature (if you look at the edge of the spine, you'll see that groups of pages are sewn together [a signature] then these groups are put together and either sewn or glued to the spine to form the book.) Each signature has to dry separately--until they're mostly dry. Next, put each signature into an 'envelope' made from plastic kitchen wrap and apply pressure equally to the pages.

Finally, when the book is almost dry, separate the pages carefully, using a thin blade to start the separation. Once separated, the pages should dry completely without re-adhering to each other.

The process is more complicated if the pages have been coated, since you have to determine what sort of coating has been used and get the chemical needed to dissolve the coating without losing the print.

So, you see, it's a good thing you're getting a new instruction booklet.

:smile:

#11 ~__Guest__~_(Guest)_~

~__Guest__~_(Guest)_~
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:22 PM

Stick the book in the dishwasher, directly after the dishwasher has run a cycle. Let the left over steam penetrate the book/pages.

#12 Aint

Aint

Global Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:27 PM

Wow. I totally forgot about this thread. 2007. I should do another soil test before I start my hugelkultur beds.

#13 ~__Shell__~_(Guest)_~

~__Shell__~_(Guest)_~
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:06 PM

Steam iron and a long comb hold the comb between each page as you press the steam button towards the page you are trying to separate after a few burst of steam pages should gently separate place pieces of paper loosely between pages and allow open book to dry out evenly.

#14 ~__Postal__~_(Guest)_~

~__Postal__~_(Guest)_~
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

I enjoy the help I just put all mine in freezer but probably too late pages already dried together

#15 aus

aus

loyal member

• longstanding member
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:12 PM

Best to read E Books.

Reply to this topic

Copyright © 2017 Fool Moon LLC